Repair Parts -- new and used -- moderated newsgroup for trading > Industrial Metal Machines Parts
> Serial wombat - interface your circuits to a pc
Serial wombat - interface your circuits to a pc
For Sale: Serial wombat - interface your circuits to a pc
Subject Serial wombat - interface your circuits to a pc
Ad is submitted by poster:
* Is a microcontroller programmed with custom firmware
* Connects to a PC, Palm-Pilot, WinCE handheld, or other "Smart" Host device through the serial port
* Acts as "Arms and Legs" by giving the host device Digital and Analog I/O capabilities
* Is designed to be attached to the host device during operation
* Provides up to 32 digial I/O pins
* Provides up to 13 Analog Inputs
* Comes pre-programmed. You don't download any program to the Wombat; you send it commands in real-time
* Includes functions to reduce the work of the host device, including servo control, stepper motor control, LCD display control, keypad scanning, filtering, averaging, rotary-encoder and many other pin-modes.
* Can be upgraded by the user when new firmware comes out
The Wombat is a very powerful device, based on Microchip's most powerful DIP package microcontroller, the 18F4620. The Serial Wombat offers the user:
* Up to 13 Analog inputs. Measure up to 13 different signals at 10 bit resolution.
* Two Hardware based PWM channels operating at 10 bit resolution up to 40kHz
* A 16 level Digital to Analog converter
* 512 bytes of RAM in which measurements or signals to be output can be temporarily stored. This allows the Host PC to do other things besides constantly feeding data to and from the Wombat
* The ability to tell the Wombat to execute commands at powerup. Once configured, functions like Hysteresis control can be performed from powerup with no help from a PC.
* 512 bytes of User-Accessible EEPROM. Use this for powerup commands, or to store device-specific data to be retreived later.
* High Speed Serial Access. The Wombat can communicate at up to 115,200 bits per second. And it can automatically detect the baud rate you're using.
* Reprogrammable flash for software upgrades. The Wombat will be constantly updated throughout 2006. New versions of the software are free, and can be downloaded easily using Windows Hyperterminal. Among the planned features for a March 2006 release are PID control, a software development kit to allow users to integrate their own code alongside the Wombat Firmware, and the ability to control multiple Wombat chips from one serial link
The Wombat is Easy to Assemble and Use
* Videos guide you through the assembly process.
* The Wombat uses a simple 8 byte protocol
The following can be achieved by simply typing commands into Windows Hyperterminal or other Terminal Software:
* Control a light or motor using a PWM signal
* Measure a voltage-Hook it up to an analog pin, and type one command
Other more powerful commands can be invoked by sending binary from your program. Binary commands can also be compiled for copying into hyperterminal using our CGI script.
The Serial Wombat makes it easy to write software to do more complicated things which can only be achieved with the help of embedded software:
* Scan a matrix encoded keypad, and report and remember button pushes for reporting to the PC
* Monitor a rotary encoder and report the net number of clockwise or counterclockwise turns to the PC
The Serial Wombat isn't just for PC's. Attach one to an old Palm Pilot to create a portable, powerful data aquisition and control system with a graphic user interface. Or use a Wombat to add tons of I/O and control options to your Basic Stamp project. See the Documentation and Protocol pages to get an idea of the power, versatility, and ease of use of the Serial Wombat.
Visit The Serial Wombat Web site for the latest information on what the Serial Wombat can do.
This Listing is for a single Serial Wombat interface chip.
repair--parts.com bears NO responsibility for this ad. Please report ads that do not follow our
rules (on front page).
Posted By: Jay Taylor
Contact: Jay-Taylor@repair--parts.com (Jay Taylor) (this is a temporary forwarding address).